We’re looking for volunteers who will be based in the galleries to help visitors with finding their way about the building and assisting them with any enquiries they might have.
We are not just seeking people with lots of historical knowledge but individuals who like working with the public, including children, and wish to help the museum staff make their visitors feel welcome.
If a volunteer has a subject interest, or wishes to develop one, the Museum staff will assist with this wherever possible.
- To provide information to the visitor on the location of services e.g. where the baby changing facilities are.
- To provide information on the collections when asked, and/or to direct the visitor towards further information. E.g. where they will find the objects from Butlers Field, Lechlade. Attendants can research particular objects or interest areas if they wish. However we are not expecting them to have any special knowledge. It is much more about directing the public to further sources of information such as guidebooks, information sheets, and to the relevant member of staff.
- Checking the galleries are tidy, and if not reporting this to the appropriate member of staff.
- Checking the handling areas and tidying them up.
- Checking the computer interactives are working and if not reporting them to the relevant member of staff.
- There will also be the opportunity to give short gallery talks/tours to visiting groups
- Overview of the new galleries – what’s where etc.
- Overview of the services the museum provides
- Introductions to members of staff - who does what
Gallery Stewards usually volunteer for 2.5 hour slots. We have vacancies on the following days:
Monday 12.00 - 14.30
Wednesday 12.00 - 14.30
Thursday 12.00 - 14.30
Friday 12.00 - 14.30
Saturday 10.00 - 12.30
Sunday 14.00 - 16.30
How to get involved?
Step 1: Sign in to your Volunteer Makers account or sign up to Volunteer Makers
Step 2: Accept the challenge
Step 3: We will contact you to arrange an application
- Museum Collections
- Local History
- Creative and Arts
- Community Work